Saturday, May 11, 2019 from 8 a.m. – noon
The annual clean up, and celebration of Earth Day and Arbor Day in Middletown, Ohio is slated for Saturday, May 11, 8 am to 12 noon at Middletown High School.
Keep Middletown Beautiful Executive Director Jeff Michel will coordinate volunteers to continue the successful series of annual projects in Middletown. In past years, several parks have seen major work such as professional tree and shrub trimming and removal, painting and planting. The 2019 Earth Day event will focus on cleaning up city wide; tackling neighborhood litter and painting, Smith Park cleanup and landscape projects, and general clean up in several other parks as well as the City Building area. Arbor Day will be celebrated with a tree planting at this time.
Gloves and garbage bags will be given to volunteers (sign in at Middletown High School main lobby or online). Dump trucks and dumpsters will be in strategic locations and volunteers can put bags in the trucks. All volunteers working that day (with a KMB shirt) are welcome to join KMB in the lobby of the high school to eat lunch immediately following the community clean up at 11:30-1:00 p.m.
Volunteers may pre-register online by April 26 at www.keepmiddletownbeautiful.org or in person on the day of the event at Middletown High School.
Children 14 and under must be accompanied with parent or guardian.
Groups may organize before the day of the event to clean up anywhere throughout the greater Middletown area. Please contact executive director Jeff Michel at 513.425.7750 or email firstname.lastname@example.org by April 26. Please have volunteer registration sheets filled out for participating volunteers and provide volunteer shirt size for each member of your group. We encourage groups to take photos of the day’s events along with group photos and ask that they be sent to Jeffmi@cityofmiddletown.org. We also ask that groups tally the total number of volunteers and roughly how many hours they all worked and send them to the above email as well.
Pre-registration by April 26 is recommended for Earth Day due to the limited supply of T-Shirts.
- Middletown High School: The main site for operations – Litter clean up, Arbor Day tree planting, landscape cleanup (10)
- Smith Park: The main park site for community cleanup- Paint signs, and electric boxes, paint fence at playground equipment, plant new pollinator landscape beds, litter removal around pond, plant bed clean up, mulching (50)
- All Middletown public schools: Trash pick up, plant bed cleanup (5 per school site)
- City Hall, One Donham Plaza: Paint signs and benches, clean debris and leaves from mulch beds (10-15)
- Bicentennial Commons: Clean up along the river bank (20)
- Main Street from Old South Park to Smith Park: Trash removal, paint signs (10)
- Central from Bicentennial Commons to University: Plant bed cleanup, trash removal (10)
- Lefferson Park: Litter pickup, mulch trees along Breiel, paint signs, clean up playground (10)
- Douglass Park: Trash removal, pick up sticks (5)
- Douglass Park Garden: Litter pickup, sign painting, cleanup community center area and paint indoor or outdoor rooms (15)
- Gardner Park: Trash removal along tree line (5)
- Bull’s Run: Work with staff to clean up throughout the nature preserve (20)
- Armbruster Nature Preserve: Trash removal end of Autumn Dr., pick up sticks along trail and at left side of road, plant bed cleanup at sign, honeysuckle removal (20)
- Rt. 122 and I-75: Trash removal along sides of road and in the medians on the on/off ramps (not on the Interstate) (15)
- Fire Headquarters Station 83: Litter pick up, landscape bed cleanup and planting (10)
- Miami University-Middletown: Litter pick up, honeysuckle removal (30)
- Barnitz Stadium: Trash removal (6)
- Middletown Pioneer Cemetery: Trash removal, pick up sticks, bed preparation for spring planting (10)
- Various Neighborhoods throughout the City: Litter pick up and sign painting. When signing up list your street name if you would like to work in your neighborhood. Must coordinate with KMB or City personnel to do neighborhood cleanup activities.
Special Thanks to Partners and Sponsors
Bull’s Run Arboretum
Butler County Soil & Water Conservation District
City of Middletown
Keep America Beautiful
Keep Ohio Beautiful
MetroParks of Butler County
Middletown Arts Center Foundation
Middletown City Schools
Middletown Fire Department
Middletown Police Department