Saturday, April 21 from 8 a.m. – noon
The annual clean up, and celebration of Earth Day and Arbor Day in Middletown, Ohio is slated for Saturday, April 21, 8 am to 12 noon at the Middletown City Building, One Donham Plaza.
Keep Middletown Beautiful Executive Director Jeff Michel will coordinate volunteers to continue the successful series of annual projects in Middletown. In past years, several parks have seen major work such as professional tree and shrub trimming and removal, painting and planting. The 2018 Earth Day event will focus on the Middletown City Building area and downtown streets as well as general clean up in several parks. Arbor Day will be celebrated with a tree planting at this time.
Gloves and garbage bags will be given to volunteers (sign in at One Donham Plaza Middletown main lobby). Dump trucks and dumpsters will be in strategic locations and volunteers can put bags in the trucks. All volunteers working that day (with a KMB shirt) are welcome to join KMB in the lobby of the city build to eat lunch immediately following the community clean up at 12:00.
Volunteers may pre-register online by April 2 at www.keepmiddletownbeautiful.org or in person on the day of the event at the City building.
Children 14 and under must be accompanied with parent or guardian.
Groups may organize before the day of the event to clean up anywhere throughout the greater Middletown area. Please contact executive director Jeff Michel at 513.425.7750 or email firstname.lastname@example.org by April 2. Please have volunteer registration sheets filled out for participating volunteers and provide volunteer shirt size for each member of your group. Please take photographs of the group working that day or a group photo. Tally the total number of volunteers and roughly how many hours they all worked.
Pre-registration by April 2 is recommended for Earth Day due to the limited supply of T-Shirts.
- City Hall, One Donham Plaza: The main site for the community cleanup—prune the shrubs and trees, paint signs and benches, edge plant beds, rake leaves, bag and remove debris and mulch beds (50)
- Bicentennial Commons: Clean up along the river bank (10)
- Main Street from Old South Park to Smith Park: Trash removal, paint signs (10)
- Central from Bicentennial Commons to University: Plant bed cleanup, trash removal (10)
- Smith Park: Trash removal around pond, plant bed clean up, mulching (20)
- Sunset Park: Trash removal at basketball court and around perimeter, bed cleanup at signs/lilac beds (6)
- Lefferson Park: Trash removal (2-4)
- Douglass Park: Trash removal, pick up sticks (5)
- Douglass Park Garden: Weeding and mulching a community vegetable garden (10)
- Gardner Park: Trash removal along tree line (5)
- Bull’s Run: Work with staff to clean up throughout the nature preserve (20)
- Armbruster Nature Preserve: Trash removal end of Autumn Dr., pick up sticks along trail and at left side of road, plant bed cleanup at sign, honeysuckle removal (20)
- Rt. 122 and I-75: Trash removal along sides of road and in the medians on the on/off ramps (not on the Interstate) (15)
- Jacot Park: Trash removal along entrance at Breiel Blvd. along guardrail (2)
- Wilson Park: Trash pick up, stick removal (2)
- All Middletown public schools: Trash pick up, plant bed cleanup (5 per school site)
- Gladell Park: Trash pick up (3-4)
- Oakland Park: Trash removal, graffiti removal (5)
- Barnitz Stadium and Park: Trash removal (6)
- Middletown Pioneer Cemetery: Trash removal, pick up sticks, bed preparation for spring planting (10)
- Organize your own Earth Day cleanup! Sign up your group to clean up trash on any street or alley in your neighborhood. Register to make it official! Please have volunteer registration forms filled out for each volunteer, provide their T-shirt size and tally up your volunteer hours—be sure to take photos of your group working and send them to Keep Middletown Beautiful.
Special Thanks to Partners and Sponsors
Bull’s Run Arboretum
Butler County Soil & Water Conservation District
City of Middletown
Fenwick High School
Keep America Beautiful
Keep Ohio Beautiful
MetroParks of Butler County
Middletown Arts Center Foundation
Middletown City Schools
Middletown Fire Department
Middletown Police Department